Saturday, June 2, 2012

I knew the poop wasn't normal

I'm thinking back to a different time in my life. I was drinking my jack and sprite at the bar, wearing heels, and arguing with my friends about which Sex in the City character I was most like. Never did I think that in just a few short years I would be calling said friends to ask what their kids' poops looked like. Since some of you who read this haven't hit parenthood yet, we will skip the details. (Just know that one day, you will relate to this discussion.) Anyway, Russ' diapers were out of control and he was becoming fussier by the day. It took many doctor phone calls before someone took me seriously when I said that I thought Russ had a food allergy. Sure enough, he does. He is allergic to MILK. As Evan says, "Every Superman has his kryptonite."

So let me say this about food...I don't come from a family who diets. One time I bought reduced fat Wheat Thins and my Dad immediately asked my Mom if I had an eating disorder. Yes because 1 box of reduced fat crackers= eating disorder. Imagine what would have happened to me if I brought home coconut butter. I would have probably been sent to a juvenile detention center.

Well life has changed. I am now surrounded by hippie food. I happily serve Russ almond yogurt, soy milk, coconut butter, dairy-free bread, etc. I even make him Namaste pancakes, which get this, are $8.99. For pancakes. (* See previous post about me being cheap. This kills me but Russ freaking inhales them.) 

In 2 months we can try to give him food with milk baked-in. Some kids' bodies don't recognize the milk once it's been cooked. I'm hoping this is true for Russ. That would make things a lot easier! Either way, he is so much happier and I don't have to call people and ask them what their kid's poop looks like anymore. If you wanted to know, Russ' kind of looks like organic almond butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment